Toprol - A Comprehensive Overview
Toprol (also known as Metoprolol ) is a medication that treats high blood pressure and chest pain caused by coronary artery diseases, among other conditions. Toprol is used to treat certain types of arrhythmia or irregular heartbeats. Toprol is a beta-blocker, a drug class that works by blocking receptors within the body which affect heartbeat and circulation. This reduces blood pressure and the strain placed on the heart.
What is Toprol?Toprol belongs to the class of beta-blockers. The beta-blockers block certain receptors that affect heart function and blood circulation. They reduce the blood pressure, and therefore strain on your heart. Lopressor , Betaloc and Lopressor are other brand names of Toprol.
Toprol: Uses and BenefitsToprol can be prescribed for high blood pressure, chest pain, or other conditions like supraventricular tachycardia and congestive cardiac failure. Toprol can be used as a migraine preventative.
- High Blood pressure: Toprol can reduce both the systolic (systolic) and diastolic (diastolic) blood pressure. It also helps to lower stroke risk, heart attack and kidney damage.
- Toprol reduces chest pain caused by coronary artery diseases, as it improves blood flow.
- Toprol is effective in controlling irregular heartbeats, often a result of stress or underlying conditions.
- Toprol is a migraine prevention drug that has been shown to reduce headache frequency.
Toprol: What are the Benefits?Toprol has been shown to have several benefits that go beyond the primary purpose of treating high blood pressure. They include:
- Toprol reduces the risk of heart disease by lowering your blood pressure.
- Reduced Risk of Stroke High blood pressure can increase the chance of stroke. Toprol reduces this risk.
- Toprol improves blood flow, which reduces chest pain.
- Toprol is effective in reducing migraines.