In 1919 the association supported the move to hire the first school nurse for the village and provided financial support toward her salary. Over the next three years, a small outpost of the Bureau of Social Service of Cook County was established in La Grange and began to provide services. This Bureau would meet with many challenges and it would become an independent organization in January of 1921.
-The agency began to receive funds from the Community Shop, an experiment with a "continuous rummage sale," which was initiated to raise funds for the Library
-Donations for Thanksgiving and Christmas were received and distributed to families in need.
-A stock of staples and canned food was kept to meet emergency needs
-A Christmas party was held for Clinic children
The agency began a recreation project.
A craft club was started which offered some child care
1925 Moved offices into the basement of the Library
Put in charge of the Christmas Seals sales in the village of LaGrange
The agency had a dental chair installed in the local school and free dental services were provided to school children
The Association was incorporated as a private, not for profit health and welfare corporation on August 7, 1930. The mission of the agency was to provide health care and other services to benefit residents of the area regardless of their ability to pay.
Began making small loans to low-income individuals and their families for rent, eye glasses and other basic needs
Initiated a child care program
Established a relief committee
Helped to establish an employment bureau that gave “varied civic betterment jobs to over 300 men”
Hired a social worker to handle the "relief cases" because Community Nurse worked closely with the County Relief Office
Legal services were provided by a Legal Aid committee of the board
Became an advocacy group as well as providing direct service. Recommendations were made to the village that all local dogs be vaccinated and a resolution was passed in 1931 requesting the State Legislature enact laws compelling the eradication of ragweed.
Food and other financial assistance was provided through the Welfare Program during the depression.
Given an award for the most Christmas Seals sold in the country
In January 1933, the agency began a letter writing campaign to urge legislators to pass a bill for compulsory use of silver nitrate in the eyes of new born babies
Cook County Bureau of Public Welfare took over the relief work of the Association and the Social Worker was transferred to that organization, however, relief work continued on a case-by-case basis
Received Community Chest funding
Stopped Christmas and Thanksgiving baskets because other organizations and churches had taken over the activity
Opened a recreation program in the Methodist Church on La Grange's east side
A summer recreation program was also started
The Episcopal Church donated their old Parish House to Community Nurse who moved the building to the East side of LaGrange to establish the East Side Community Center
A Day Care Center was started to care for children of working mothers
Community Nurse circulated a petition to have the Village of LaGrange levy a recreation tax
The Recreation Tax was implemented and funded the agency's recreation programs
CNSA paid a doctor for the first time
Lobbied the LaGrange Village Board to pass an ordinance to prohibit dogs from stores
The revenue generated from the Recreation Tax resulted in the creation of the La Grange Playground and Recreation Commission and Community Nurse turned all their recreation programs over to this commission
The practice of giving Christmas gifts to low-income families was discontinued
The Handicraft Club was discontinued
Bought the building at 117 West Calendar Avenue
The Thrift Shop was moved to 117 West Calendar
The first building was owned in full
The Golden Agers Club is started to serve senior citizens who resided in the Association's service area.
Serves as the clearing house for any emergency in the area
Serves as the clearing house for all welfare work in the community
Visiting nurse expands home visits
The LaGrange Women's Club initiated the Dental Clinic at Community Nurse, serving low-income children through sixteen years to age. A volunteer dentist and volunteers from the LaGrange Women's Club staffed the clinic.
Thrift Shop and other services moved to 27 W. Calendar
The building was paid off in full
• The daycare program was changed to include Early Childhood Education
Expansion of the Day Car Program opened in the First Congregational Church of La Grange serving 3-5 year olds.
50th Anniversary Celebration
Programs include: Daycare Center, Dental Clinic, Golden Age Club, bedside nursing and Well-Baby Clinic, welfare and the Thrift Shop
Well Baby Clinic was expanded to include sick children
Hired a physical therapist and a speech therapist
Purchased the LaGrange Medical Building at Sixth and Harris for further expansion
The Golden Agers Club was discontinued after 25 years of operation, when the Southwest Suburban Center on Aging was established
The Medical Advisory Committee was formed and reviewed and revised the agency's established medical practices and procedures effecting clinic operations
The personnel committee established personnel policies and job descriptions
The first Professional Director was hired in June of 1979
The Medical Advisory Committee became the Professional Advisory Committee and conducted a Utilization Review of 10% of the agency's client charts
Home Health Department became Medicare certified.
There was a fire in the building at 24 Calendar Court on December 28, 1981, and the organization was temporarily housed in the LaGrange Bank and Trust
The Pediatric Clinic and the Dental Clinic were closed because of the fire
Pediatric Clinic reopened in the LaGrange town hall
The Thrift Shop Opened at 13 Calendar Avenue
Renovations are complete at 27 Calendar Avenue
A pediatrician is added to the staff and the Women, Infants and Children's program was reinstated after a lapse of almost a year
Day Care Center ceased operation as new day care centers opened in the area and the need for daycare was met. When the Day Care Center closed, funds are transferred to the Dental Clinic
The Dental Clinic is reopened on 5/4/83 with four dentists providing expanded services to young adults as well as children
Mortgage on Calendar Mall Building was paid off in September 1984
A private pay Homemaker Program was started
Pediatric and Dental Clinics expanded
Service Area expanded to include Brookfield
Dental Assistant hired
The Dental Clinic was expanded to serve adults. Procedures were expanded to include root canal, bridges, crowns, and dentures
The Secret Santa program began
The building at 47 South Sixth Avenue was sold
The building at 110 Calendar Court was purchased for $110,000
The Building at 27 Calendar Court was purchased for $62,000
The Adolescent Center was opened
A Primary Care Center for Adults was opened
The building at 23 Calendar was purchased for $320,000 and renovations were completed
Oral Surgery was added to the Dental Clinic
The Thrift Shop was renovated and relocated
Low-cost Flu Shot Program was initiated
A Medical Social Worker was added to the Home Health Department